Nupur from One Hot Stove was my inspiration to try this out for Lunchbox Series this morning. Nikhil is not a huge fan of Egg Salad Sandwich so thought I would give this a try. He has acquired some “desi” tastebuds from both Girish and I so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this lunchbox will come back empty and eaten, of course:) I thought it was a brilliant idea by Nupur to Indian-ise this lunchbox staple with the paprika, cilantro and “kitchen king” masala.
5 hard-boiled eggs (I use a color-changing egg-timer for perfectly boiled eggs, that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond, but you can find this in many home/kitchen specialty stores)
1 small chopped yellow onion
1 small tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp crushed green chilies (I use thai chilies but you can also use jalapenos)
1/4 tsp crushed garlic
1/4 tsp crushed ginger
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp kitchen king masala (available in Indian grocery stores)
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp mayo
1 tsp spicy brown mustard
1- 1 1/2 tsp oil
Salt to taste
1. Peel the eggs and chop into small chunks.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped onions.
3. When onions become transluscent, add the crushed ginger, garlic and green chilies.
4. Add turmeric, red chili powder, kitchen king masala and salt to taste.
5. Saute for a few minutes and then add the chopped tomatoes. Cook till the mixture is a little dry.
6. Cool the mixture and add this to the chopped boiled eggs.
7. Add the mayo and mustard and mix well. Add chopped cilantro.
8. You may also add a dash of red chili powder for additional color.
9. This egg salad will taste great in pita bread or pita pockets. I used bread this morning but will suggest toasting the bread a little and adding a lettuce leaf to the bread slices to prevent them from getting soggy by lunchtime. I used red cabbage today but only because I didn’t have all the ingredients.