This is a quick post and a quick way to use up all those juicy Alphonso mangoes filling up in my kitchen (and our tummies) this season. There are a gazillion mango dessert recipes out there that I’m dying to try, but what better way to use up some overripe mangoes than in a hearty and nutritious smoothie. Made with the goodness of coconut water and avocados and oranges , this one has a chock full of electrolytes, healthy fats, Vitamin C and is a filling smoothie and great breakfast by itself.
Of course if you’re like me, don’t bother chopping the mangoes – just squeeze the heck out of them with your fingers into the blender – then enjoy savoring the sweet goodness of the seed with bits of the pulp and juice trickling down your fingers:). That is by far my favorite way to enjoy a mango.
Ingredients: (makes 6 cups)
- Aphonso mangoes (or you can use any sweet ripe mango) – peeled and chopped into chunks – 2
- Avocado – 2
- Oranges – peeled and cut into big chunks – 2
- Coconut water from one tender coconut – 1 to 1 1/2 cups
- Coconut meat – 1/4 – 12/ cup (optional)
- Whey protein powder (optional) – 1 tbsp
- Ice cubes – 1 cup
- Water as needed
- Vanilla paste or pod or essence – 1/2 tsp
Add all the ingredients in the order listed into a Vitamix or other high powered blender and blend first at a low speed then on high for 1-2 minutes. Add the water as needed to reach the desired consistency.