This is a follow up to the recipe from yesterday on the Asparagus Soup. I served this sandwich along with the soup for lunch. Once again, this is inspired from Vegetarian Times, with a few changes. I didn’t use French baguettes but whole wheat subs. Also, I used regular cream cheese (not the vegan kind) and radish instead of radicchio and sweet and hot roasted red peppers, for some kick.
- 1 8-oz. container cream cheese, softened
- 17-oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained well, finely chopped
- 3 Tbs. finely minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 2 18-inch whole wheat subs
- 3/4 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 12 romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 cups thinly sliced radish
1. Mix the roasted red peppers, cream cheese, onion, and garlic in bowl.
2. Halve each sub lengthwise. Tear out some of center from bread to make space for fillings.
3. Spread cream cheese mixture on bottom halves of bread. Top with cucumber, lettuce, and radicchio, and cover with top half of bread.
The verdict: The sandwich turned out a little too sweet for Girish and Nikhil’s liking. I think it was because I used the sweet and hot red peppers instead of the regular roasted pepper. Will I try this again for a lunch box recipe? Of course, but with the right kind of red pepper this time!